Thursday, October 19, 2006

from the leaves

I learned something from the fall leaves today. I was walking along with my eyes glued to the ground because the leaves were just so beautiful and I had this impulse to bend down and scoop all of them up. Have you ever seen something so beautiful as the patterns and fades and hues on an autumn leaf? Then I realized I couldn't possibly collect all of them. They were all so beautiful and I couldn't possibly choose the prettiest and best because no matter which one I chose there would always be one prettier. So, I thought to myself, "why don't I just enjoy them as they are? All scattered and beautifully askew on the ground? Why don't I just be and let be eh?" Beauty can be acknowledged without having to possess it. Can't it? I mean God created us, He called us good, and being called good by God is unspeakably amazing. He doesn't control us. He doesn't try to forcibly posses us. Yes He's a jealous God, and that is a beautiful thing. But He doesn't try to keep us all to himself just because He finds us beautiful. Maybe He'd like to though? Maybe He wants to scoop all His creations up and keep them, preserve them, enjoy them forever. But because we sinned He doesn't do that till we come to Him and then die and go to heaven. Maybe? Maybe I'm just philosophizing. I don't have to preserve, save or keep all the things I find to be beautiful. But I want to. I want to keep the people I love forever. I want to savor beautiful experiences forever. I want to collect and enjoy things I see as beautiful. Sometimes I forget to enjoy them while they're there and instead use all my time lamenting the fact that they won't last forever. What a sad state. But what a great lesson to learn from the leaves...

1 Comments:

Blogger John said...

What a great lesson to learn from the leaves...

9:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home